Seena's Lentil Loaf with Savory Potato Filling
Our first recipe is an old family favourite which doesn't have too many hard to find ingredients. Just wanted to burst right out of the gate with a sure thing. Check links section for Breakfast and Lunch ideas. Enjoy!
Preheat oven to 350º.
3 cups cooked lentils (=1 cup raw; you can also buy precooked lentils in a can)
3 cloves garlic, crushed
6 oz mushrooms (I use cremini mushrooms for extra flavour)
1 – 1 ½ cups shredded carrot
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp wheat germ
½ tsp nutmeg
1 ½ cups vegan cheddar-style cheese, shredded
- Sauté garlic, mushrooms and carrot**. Add soy sauce & nutmeg. Remove from heat and let mixture cool a bit. Add cheese and mix in bowl. (Cheese should not melt when mixed with sautéed ingredients.)
- Mix lentil mixture in a bowl and set aside ¼ of mixture. Take remaining ¾ and evenly line bottom and sides of a large loaf pan, ensuring all sides get close to top of loaf pan.
1 cup chopped onion**
¼ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1 cup mashed potato (= 1 large potato, peeled & cooked)
½ tsp each: salt, dried thyme, dried basil, white pepper, salt-free Spike (or omit salt and use 1T regular Spike)
- In a bowl mash together filling ingredients and fill cavity of lentil lined loaf pan.
- Put remaining ¼ of lentil mixture over top of loaf pan contents, ensuring the lentil mixture on the sides of the pan meet with the lentil mixture on top.
- Bake at 350º for 45-60 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
** You can also omit the chopped onion from the filling mixture and add to sautéed mixture. Either is tasty.